Saturday 29 November 2008

Things To Do When Your Not Gardening

The post's have been a little light on the ground recently, mostly because there's not much going on in the garden right now and its just too damn cold to go out and sweep up leaves!

Another reason is Rich and I have been desperately trying to save money (like everyone else right now!) and when I go in the greenhouse I realize I need to buy more seed's, compost, a cold frame, the list goes on! So I've been avoiding it!

Anyway, today we decided to have a day out and away from the long list of jobs that needed doing on the cottage and garden and went into Bath. We're very luck in that we live on the outskirts of the city and can walk in, thus avoiding paying through the nose to park or take the bus. As usual for a Saturday near Christmas the place was swarming with tourist's all heading for the Bath Christmas Market, this is a really lovely event held yearly next door to the Abbey and the Roman Baths, marred only slightly by the huge number of people all trying to squeeze in to a very small square. Sadly actually getting to see any on the products on display was damn near impossible so we gave up and went to the Victoria Art Gallery as this free to go in and was decidedly free of tourists! This is the only problem living in a world heritage site, the number of visitor's in summer and Christmas goes through the roof, but I suppose they are bringing much needed money into local businesses so I can't complain too much as I now work part time in one of them!

Anyway, I love going to the Victoria, its quite a hidden little gallery but they always have some amazing stuff on show, in their entrance hall they have one of my favourite sculptors ever...



This is 'Lady-Hare on Dog' by Sophie Ryder, I absolutely love this and have to go and have a look at it every time we go.



You can see where Dog's nose has gone shiny because everyone strokes him as they go in!

After this we have a walk around the city which is looking very pretty with the Christmas decorations up, one of my favourite things in Bath at this time of year is the Merry-go-round which they set up near the Christmas Market.



It looks so beautiful with all its lights on and the old fashioned music, really magical!



And as I love it some much Rich managed to scrap together his last few coppers and got us 2 tickets to have a ride!!



Ooooh look...action shots!





He's so good to me! Maybe I'll do the gardening tomorrow instead!

1 comment:

Stephen Shirley said...

Came across your blog and like the way you write and what you write - there's a nice image or two in there as well.

Together with my wife and two kids we own and run Victoriana Nursery Gardens - http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk - a sniff around our site should give you all the info you need about us and our ethos, if you do not know of us already.

I was wondering if you would like to try a few of our bits and pieces for free - well nearly free...

If you're interested contact me via the conatc form on our site.

Stephen