Tuesday 16 June 2009

Another Busy Weekend

I think Rich and I are our own worst enemy sometimes, we get a few days where we don't have anything particularly pressing to do, no artwork deadlines looming or anything and we managed to find back breaking jobs to do! I think its all part of owning your own home, when we lived in a rented flat we just put up with stuff until the landlord could be chivvied enough to come round and sort it out!

Saturday was another gloriously sunny day, we went out for a quick look round some of our favorite secondhand shops, then made the mistake of going to the Landrover garage in the local village and got talking to their mechanic about old Defenders, this is going to lead to trouble I know it! In fact it already has with us going to South Wales tomorrow morning to look at an LPG Landy that's for sale. I don't think my mother approves!

Anyway when we got home ( all starry eyed about possible Landrover owner ship!) we made the crazy decision to clean out the shed (at 2pm! why, why??!!) The shed has needed sorting out properly since we moved in (3 an a half years ago) it had got to the point where I would quickly open the door, throw things in, then wrestle the door locked again and run away.

So after 6 hours of Rich doing battle with the junk and spiders and me cutting up all the useless wood we found in there to burn on the fire, Rich now has his tools all organized and neat and there is the possibility of being able to find what we're looking for in there.

Here is the amazingly neat looking wood pile once I'd refilled it with all the rubbish timber...



I would have taken a pic of the inside but as Rich pointed out, to the untrained eye it still looks like a bombs hit it, only we know the difference!

Sunday we got up as usual to going Car Booting, this week was a little disappointing but we managed to find a few bits...



Another storm lantern, a HUGE opium Poppy for a staggeringly cheap £1.50 and a sweet Kew Red Lavender (we have to much Lavender in our garden but its one of my favorite plants and puts up with being baked in the summer sun!)



While we had been clearing the shed on the Saturday we came across an handmade plate rack Rich mum and dad gave us over 2 years ago, they had had it made for the kitchen off one of their houses but unfortunately who every built it, whilst obviously being a very good carpenter had never tried it with an actual plate in, as they just roll straight out of the slots! Anyway we ended up with it, then shoved it in the shed and forgot about it (as you do!) Rich decided whiles being total pants as a plate rack it would make a good shelving unit...



It was however too deep and stuck out into our very tiny kitchen too far, Rich being the clever so an so he is took it outside and spend the rest of the day hacking 3 inches off the back of it. It now looks great but needs repainting, so hopefully in a few weeks we should have some lovely new shelves for me to keep my vintage cans and jars on! Hmm love recycling!

While he was doing that I spent a happy hour picking and shelling peas for the new freezer...



Then spent the rest of the day pottering around the veg patch...



I'm pleased to say the Onions and Sweetcorn are doing really well...



I've planted the Sweetcorn in a block and the next door neighbor has planted his level with mine, so we've hoping they'll pollinate each other.



I wish we had a few more but as I've mentioned before we lost a few to the mice!

The Tomatoes are loving the warm weather and are growing inches everyday, I so cant wait for home grown toms in my sandwiches, store brought just don't taste of anything!



And finally as I promised Stephen over at Victoriana Nursery I would, here is a pic of our Molly's Cottage Garden Mix it's coming on really well, can't wait to see what flowers we get!

No comments: