Friday 5 June 2009

Birthdays and Finding Treasure!

Phew, another busy few weeks! Sorry for the slight lapse in posting, it was a combination of having a week in Shropshire doing vital wedding prep, both our Birthdays within 5 days of each other and a long awaiting visit from Rich's lovely Mum!

So the wedding stuff is coming along well, I finally got most of the invites out (thank god!) and all that's left is to sort a band or DJ for the night.

Things in the garden are going crazy as it always does in May and June, everything seems to be in such a race to get huge and the wonderful weather has helped, although as I type this its just starting to rain (thankfully, my water butts are almost empty!)



The Rambling Cascade Strawberry's seem happy in their baskets, their handing from the front of our cottage, which is really warm and sunny.

The Strawberry's in the big bed down on the veg patch are also coming along nicely, there's quite a lot of fruit on them so last week I spent an afternoon putting straw done and netting them.



I must remember to change the straw regularly so it doesn't rot this time, and end full of woodlice and earwigs!

I got some more peas while in Shropshire (as the mice who think my greenhouse is McDonald's eat all mine!) these have gone in with the others i started form seed, as the wood ash thing worked so well on the toms in the greenhouse I have tried using it again, just till the plants are a bit more established, and I have to say so far its worked a treat.



Despite it not be the most attractive thing to look at, although in my opinion its better than looking at little blue pellets every where.



Look at those healthy Tomatoes, I cant wait to taste them, I thing Tomatoes are my favourite veg as they always seem to put so much effort into what they give you.

Rich even got time with all this lovely sun to mow the Orchard, i had been waiting for the Cowslips to drop their seeds before I let him. I love it when its fresh cut and I can walk through it and check the trees out properly.



my b.day happened to be only my second day in my new job with the library and I thought it was As i mentioned the week before last was my Birthday (my 28th, groan I feel old!) Unfortunatelyprobably a bit to soon to be calling in sick! so I worked 9-7, and spent all day looking forward to my prezzies!

luckily all my blatant hinting here had payed off...



and among other stuff I also got these...



See, you know your with the perfect chap when he buys you a new handbag and a spade for your birthday!

For my Birthday treat we went out to a National Trust garden the next day, its a tiny little garden in the village of Holt not far from us call The Courts which was beautiful, all full of Irises and Poppies and the cutest veg garden...



I want to put Chives along the paths in my veg garden like this...



I wish we had the space to make an apple arbor like this...



and these Poppies are just beautiful...



Jealous!! This garden is totally worth a look if your in the area, small but perfectly formed!

We got to do a good bit of Booting last weekend with Rich's Mum who was staying with us, I thing she was impressed with the caliber of the Bath boot sales as she brought loads of good stuff! Here's some of the rubbish we dragged home...



A very cute brass watering can (the lady wanted £10, but we got it for £5!)



The biggest Foxglove I've ever seen for £2, here it is all planted up and looking great...



and the bargain of the day where these 2 vintage filing cabinets for £8...



The look fantastic next the Rich desk and are now holding our entire CD collecting (which Rich has alphabetized!!! ) I love it when the weathers good it brings out all the best junk!!

It was Rich's Birthday last Wednesday (his 30th ooooh!) so we had another day out to celebrate, Rich picked to go to the Haynes Motor Museum down near Yeovil, I must say I really wasn't looking forward to it that much, I like cars but I wasn't sure I could stand a whole day of them. As it turned out it was actually quite good, not too many cars for me but enough to keep Rich happy, he found one he wanted to take home straight away....



and I found one I would have quite liked to have driven home in too...



Hmmmm Landys! Will have to see what I can find on ebay, I wonder if anyone would swap a luxury KA for an old Landrover?!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Sounds like a darn good few weeks and 2 great birthdays. Jealous of your day (the car museum - uumm, not so much). Enjoy 28, I'm heading for 30 in a couple of months time, THAT is scarey.

A Green and Rosie Life said...

Crushed baked egg shells are also a good slug deterrant.

Belated Happy Birthday

Rosie x