Friday 15 August 2008

Dad

I will be taking a little brake from blogging for a week or so, I'm traveling up to Shropshire on Sunday to go and see my Dad.

Dad has always been a bit of an inspiration to me, him being a bit of a pioneer of the whole recycling thing back in the 80's when I was little (before it was cool!), most of our house and garden was furnished with bits and pieces he pulled out of skips or rescued from building sites, it would then disappear into the wondrous recesses of his shed to emerge and week or so later fixed and beautiful! the reason for this sort of things was mainly we didn't have the money to buy much new stuff plus Dad really hates to see something useful thrown away (I have the same problems, I'm a bit worried I may be becoming a hoarder)

He was also the one who taught me how to paint, we used to spend endless weekends when I was little making complicated stuff out of cardboard and paper-mache, he's an amazingly musical chap too (sadly something I didn't inherit, although my sister used to be a wonderful clarinet player) he has taught himself to play guitar, clarinet (when my sister was finished with it!) and recently the piano.

Probably the best description of my Dad was when my sister Sally and her boyfriend Ollie were staying with us, Ollie said Dad remained him of someone but he couldn't think who? Richard, Sally and I immediately said Winne The Pooh, then fell about laughing, but I afraid he does, hes quiet and very funny and some of his furs been loved off over the years but that's definitely him

So why am I telling you all about my Dad on a gardening blog? well he was the inspiration for me starting all this way back in March, that's was when he started his chemotherapy treatment for cancer, basically the idea was if he couldn't come and visit because he wasn't well then he could at least see what Rich and I were up to on the blog (one of the reasons I post lots of photos), luckily the chemo hasn't been to ruff and he's be able to come and stay a couple of times.
This week however he starts his bone marrow transplant, a lovely fun experience I sure he's looking forward too!



So I'm going home to spend some time with my Mum and my Sister and wait for the doctors to give us our silly old bear back!

1 comment:

Maureen said...

Hi Kat
What a lovely post ! I hope your dad is getting better, he's sounds lovely and you sound like a very caring daughter. I love your blog and will drop in to read it from time to time. I started one recently for the first time. I have an allotment which I aquired back in Febuary this year and it's been amazing. I have met lot's of lovely people and have grown so much veg in my first year,and now can't wait until spring to start sowing again.

Maureen